Thursday, September 18, 2008

post 1

well... to start off with i am not a big fan of politics... in general they make me angry, and so do politicians. i dont like listening to them or watching them or hearing about them, or really anything to do with politics in general. but when forced to make a decision i would have to sayi am on the republican side of most issues and generally support McCain. Like most people, my ideology and political views have come from my family and especially my parents. granted, they're hard-core conservatives and i'm not nearly that bad, but i do share a lot of their views on everything except social issues. as far as the next president goes, my main hesitation in supporting McCain are his stands on social issues: he's pro-life, anti-same sex marriage, and sarah palin's a bit of a nut about not having sex-ed. Barack Obama is young and charismatic and obviously a better public speaker than McCain, but i just don't see enough experience there to put him in charge of the country. plus, he wants to make a lot of economic changes which might not be a good idea given the precarious state of the economy right now. maybe it;s just better to let things work themselves out... i'm open to being persuaded by either candidate and i'm thinking about sitting through the presidential debate before making a final decision

1 comment:

jhagstrom said...

Hey Stephanie! I can totally understand leaning towards your parents' views. I am sort of the same way. At the moment, I am swaying towards the Democratic side on most issues. But, like you, I am open to persuasion. I hope that we are both able to figure out who we are politically through our gov. class. At the least, we may might like politics a little bit more than before. :)